Serving All of Virginia
Motorcycle accidents differ from car accidents in many ways. The number one difference is that the vast majority of motorcycle accidents end in severe injury as there is no real protection or framework support on a motorcycle.
The most common injuries include:
- Scarring and road rash
- Rotator cuff tears
- Head Trauma
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are an average of 33,783 motor vehicle deaths each year. Of those, roughly 4,000 are a result of motorcycle accidents. When you think about the car to motorcycle ratio, you can understand that 4,000 deaths per year is a lot.
Unlike car accident victims, motorcycle accident victims will almost always have some sort of scarring. If you are the victim of a motorcycle accident, immediately begin documenting all your injuries over the next few months following the accident. You will want to have extensive evidence of the healing process and the pain the injury caused.
Similar to a pedestrian accident case, the settlement value in a motorcycle case will likely be higher than a car accident case because the severity and likelihood of the injury are more common in a motorcycle accident.
BenGlassLaw’s Six-Point Assessment of Personal Injury Cases – Do You Really Need an Attorney?
BenGlassLaw will never try to convince you to hire us if we don’t believe we will add value to your claim. BenGlassLaw believes in empowering through education, and for the motorcycle accidents that we know the victim doesn’t need an attorney, we will direct you to our resources to handle the case yourself.
How BenGlassLaw Can Help with Your Motorcycle Accident
Our lawyers perform a Six-Point Assessment of your case to determine whether hiring an attorney makes sense for you.
- Determine Fault – Virginia is a contributory negligence state. If you are at-fault for your motorcycle accident, even 1% at-fault, you cannot recover damages for your accident. Often, insurance companies use this to reject personal injury claims, even when the victim didn’t contribute to the accident.
- Current Injury – The worse your injury, the more it makes sense to hire a lawyer for your personal injury claims. Motorcycle accident victims with serious injuries, like broken bones or torn ligaments, should consult with an attorney BEFORE making any recorded statements with the insurance company.
- Previous Injuries – Insurance companies love to use previous injuries as a reason to motorcycle accident claims. They will point to your previous injuries and claim your accident injuries are “preexisting.” We will review with you your past medical history to see what impact your health history will have on your settlement.
- Treatment – Insurance companies have a “length of treatment algorithm” that they use to determine how long you should be treating. If your medical treatment takes longer than the insurance company deems is normal, they will not give you a fair offer for your medical bills.
- Motorcycle Insurance – “You can’t get blood from a stone.” We have seen more good cases torpedoed by poor insurance then we can count. Although it is perfectly legal to drive a car without insurance in Virginia, it is illegal to ride an uninsured motorcycle. If the person who caused your accident is uninsured or underinsured, we will need to look at your policy to see if we can find coverage to pay for your damages.
- Your Health Insurance – Many health insurance companies will seek repayment of bills they paid on your behalf. Will make sure they don’t get more than they deserve (which is sometimes zero).
Call us at 703-584-7277 and for a free and confidential conversation about your case (and to receive a free copy of 5 Deadly Sins that can Wreck Your Car Accident Claim)
When Should You Contact an Attorney About Your Motorcycle Accident?
Due to the severity of injuries in motorcycle accidents, you should contact an attorney right away to receive input on your case. The first thing any personal injury attorney will tell you to do is to document all injuries sustained and to continue documenting them as they heal.
If any of the following is true for your motorcycle accident, contact an attorney for a free consultation:
- Your sustained severe injuries (head trauma, broken bones, torn ligaments, or lacerations)
- The motorist’s insurance company is offering a quick settlement before you finished treating.
- The other motorist is underinsured, and you need to claim against your Med Pay policy.
Generally, motorcycle accidents that are property-damage only or there is little dispute over the medical bills can be settled without an attorney.
What Should You Look for in a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney?
Most personal injury attorneys follow the “traditional” rules of personal injury cases, but not all motorcycle accident attorneys operate the same way. Motorcycle cases have a lot of differences from a typical car accident case, so your choice in attorneys should be based on:
- Their experience with motorcycle accidents like yours.
- The reviews and testimonials from their current or former clients (Can usually be found on their website).
- Their ranking on sites like Avvo.com or Martindale Hubbell.
- Phone interviews with the attorney where you discuss your case.
We encourage you to research many attorneys while you look for someone to help with your case. BenGlassLaw also offers articles, webinars, and books that will teach you the basics of accident cases. In fact, Attorney Brian Glass has created a motorcycle accident education series on YouTube that we believe can help give you some information about your case.
If you have suffered from a motorcycle accident, then we sincerely hope you make a full recovery. Have a friend or family member document your behavior in the weeks after your accident and keep a close eye on your healing process. Diagnosed head injuries are extremely common in motorcycle accidents, but undiagnosed head injuries are even more common.
Again, make sure to immediately begin documenting all your injuries from the crash. Most attorneys will tell you if it is not in the medical records, then it didn’t happen.
If you have questions, the best way to start your conversation with our professional team at BenGlassLaw is to pick up the phone and dial us - the conversation is 100% confidential and without any obligation: (703)584-7277.
Want to learn about your case before calling us? Read our report, 5 Deadly Sins that can Wreck Your Accident Claim, to learn...
- What form you should never sign for an insurance company;
- What "service" provided by some personal injury lawyers can be the kiss of death to your case;
- How to avoid having past accidents come back to haunt your case;
- How to quickly and easily find a board-certified attorney;
- What the insurance companies do to investigate your background;
- Whether the "standard" one-third contingency fee is really "standard";
- How to get through the "fluff" of lawyer advertising to find out what's important;
- How to maximize your chances for recovery in your case;
- Whether your health insurance company is allowed to be paid FIRST out of your accident settlement;
- And what the insurance industry doesn't want you to know about the settlement of accident cases.
Our Proven Process for Personal Injury Cases
- One-on-One Consultation and Strategy Session with a personal injury attorney
- Firm notifies all insurance companies that we represent the client and the insurance company never calls the client again
- Firm requests all medical bills and records
- Client receives follow-up calls every 30-60 days while in medical care so that we can ensure we know every provider they treat with.
- When finished with medical care, the client receives a written case evaluation before any demand goes to the insurance company and before any offer is made.
- If the insurance company makes an offer that meets our case evaluation and the client's settlement authority, the case is settled.
- If the insurance company does not make a satisfactory offer, we file suit and move the case towards trial, if necessary.
- At the close of the case, the firm satisfies all outstanding medical bills and liens so that the funds received by the client are free and clear of any debt.
If you would like to speak with an attorney about your case,
pick up the phone and call BenGlassLaw today at (703)584-7277
What You Can Expect When You Call Us Today:
- You will speak to our Client Care Specialist about your case. They will ask you:
- Where the accident happened
- What were your injuries
- If there was a police report
- What happened just before the accident
- What happened just after the accident
- Were there any passengers on the motorcycle
- What your medical treatment has been since the accident
- If you missed work or other appointments
- What the insurance company has communicated with you
- Client Care Specialist will make you an appointment to speak with one of our attorneys. If we do not take your specific type of case, we will refer you to one of our attorney partners who can best assist you.
- After your call, you will receive an introductory toolkit with information about your case and the resources you can use.
We believe in adding value to people's lives. If we see that hiring us will not add value to your claim, we will make a recommendation for an attorney who can help or, give you information on settling your case yourself. We will NEVER pressure you into hiring us for your case if that does not benefit you.