First, we are sorry that you are here, investigating whether a wrongful death lawsuit would be appropriate for your situation. This means that something tragic has happened in your life.
In Virginia, when a loved one dies because of the carelessness of another, or because of medical malpractice, the survivors may be entitled to damages. Each state is different in terms of what damages may be recovered.
In Virginia, these are the damages than can be recovered by the beneficiaries of the estate:
- Sorrow, mental anguish, and solace which may include society, companionship, comfort, guidance, kindly offices and advice of the decedent;
- Compensation for reasonably expected loss of (i) income of the decedent and (ii) services, protection, care and assistance provided by the decedent;
- Expenses for the care, treatment and hospitalization of the decedent incident to the injury resulting in death;
- Reasonable funeral expenses; and
- Punitive damages may be recovered in Virginia for willful or wanton conduct, or such recklessness as evinces a conscious disregard for the safety of others.
Note that in a wrongful death case in Virginia there is no recovery for the pain and suffering of the person who died ("the decedent")
Contact a Fairfax Wrongful Death Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you have lost a loved one due to negligence or physician errors in Virginia, contact attorney us today for a free consultation. We can answer your questions and help you determine if you have a case. Call (703) 584-7277 today or send us a confidential message by completing a contact form.