These Virginia Pedestrian Accident Facts Are a Real Eye-OpenerThe Virginia Highway Safety Office has released the 2010 Virginia Traffic Crash Facts report that will do little to put your mind at ease regarding pedestrian crashes. Just take a look at the following statistics:
- 1,585 individuals were hurt in pedestrian accidents
- 76 pedestrians were killed
- Pedestrian accidents accounted for 11 percent of fatal crashes in 2010
- 11.5 percent of pedestrian accidents occurred when people were crossing at an intersection with a signal
- People ages 21 to 25 were injured in more pedestrian accidents than any other age group
- The highest percentage of pedestrian accidents occurred in urban areas when people weren’t crossing at an intersection
- 2.7 percent of the collisions happened when pedestrians were playing in the roadway
It is important to always proceed with caution whenever you are crossing the street, walking in parking lots or are near motor vehicles. However, even the most cautious people are still injured in pedestrian accidents. If you are one of them, you need to learn your rights.
You probably have a lot of questions following your accident. To get answers, contact a Fairfax personal injury lawyer by calling 703.584.7277 or filling out our online form.
Be sure to order your copy of Five Deadly Sins That Can Wreck Your Injury Claim. This book is FREE to Virginia residents.