Fortunately, many car accidents are small enough for the accident victims to settle themselves. Though it is a good idea to contact an attorney for a free consultation, if your car accident resulted in few injuries that resolved quickly, you can watch our free webinars on settling a car accident without an attorney and negotiating with your insurance company.
When Should You Contact an Attorney About Your Loudoun County Car Accident?
First, if you are injured in any way, treating your injuries should be your first priority. There is a two-year statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit, so there is no reason to contact an attorney while you are riding in the ambulance.
If any of the following is true for your car accident, contact an attorney for a free consultation:
- Your sustained severe injuries (broken bones, torn ligaments, or lacerations)
- The driver’s insurance company is offering a quick settlement before you finished treating.
- The other driver is underinsured, and you need to claim against your Med Pay policy.
Generally, car accidents that are property-damage only or there is little dispute over the medical bills can be settled without an attorney.
What Should You Look for in a Loudoun County Personal Injury Attorney?
Not all car accident attorneys are the same. Most follow the “traditional” rules of personal injury cases. Your choice in attorneys should be based on:
- Their experience with car accidents like yours (truck accident, DUI accident, or pedestrian car accident.)
- The reviews and testimonials from their current or former clients.
- Their ranking on sites like Avvo.com or Martindale Hubbell.
- Phone interviews with the attorney where you discuss your case.
We encourage you to research many attorneys while you look for someone to help with your case. BenGlassLaw also offers articles, webinars, and books that will teach you the basics of car accident cases.
Searching for a Loudoun County Car Accident Attorney and
Not Sure What to Look For?
There are so many attorneys out there talking about how "aggressive" they are or how they "care" for you that it's just silly - and we've found that if you need to say it that much, you should probably spend more time doing it instead. They go on and on talking about themselves, and rarely ever share any information that could help you with your case. We want to change all of that...
We are sorry that something in your life has caused you to be having to look for an attorney. We honestly hope that you recover from your injuries and that you can get back to living your life. That's why we are making it easy for you to helpful information for you so that you can make smart decisions about your case.
If you have questions, the best way to start your conversation with our professional team at BenGlassLaw is to pick up the phone and dial us - the conversation is 100% confidential and without any obligation: (703)584-7277
BenGlassLaw’s Six-Point Assessment of Personal Injury Cases – Do You Really Need an Attorney?
Some attorneys are all too happy to take your personal injury case, and they never tell you that most small car accidents can be settled without an attorney. How can you know that your case requires an attorney? What should you do if you don’t need an attorney?
BenGlassLaw will never try to convince you to hire us if we don’t believe we will add value to your claim. BenGlassLaw believes in empowering through education, and for the car accidents that we know the victim doesn’t need an attorney, we will direct you to our resources to handle the case yourself.
How Does BenGlassLaw Evaluate Personal Injury Cases?
Our lawyers perform a Six-Point Assessment of your case to determine whether hiring an attorney makes sense for you.
- Determine Fault – Virginia is a contributory negligence state. If you are at-fault for your accident, even 1% at-fault, you cannot recover damages for your accident. Often, insurance companies use this to reject personal injury claims, even when the victim didn’t contribute to the accident.
- Current Injury – The worse your injury, the more it makes sense to hire a lawyer for your personal injury claims. Accident victims with serious injuries, like broken bones or torn ligaments, should consult with an attorney BEFORE making any recorded statements with the insurance company.
- Previous Injuries – Insurance companies love to use previous injuries as a reason to fight car accident claims. They will point to your previous injuries and claim your car accident injuries are “preexisting.” We will review with you your past medical history to see what impact your health history will have on your settlement.
- Treatment – Insurance companies have a ”length of treatment algorithm” that they use to determine how long you should be treating. If your medical treatment takes longer than the insurance company deems is normal, they will not give you a fair offer for your medical bills.
- Car Insurance – “You can’t get blood from a stone.” We have seen more good cases torpedoed by poor insurance then we can count. As most people don’t know, it is perfectly legal to drive in Virginia without car insurance. If the person who caused your accident is uninsured or underinsured, we will need to look at your policy to see if we can find coverage to pay for your damages.
- Your Health Insurance – Many health insurance companies will seek repayment of bills they paid on your behalf. Will make sure they don’t get more than they deserve (which is sometimes zero).
Your Personal Injury Six-Point Assessment is Free - You Don't Pay us Anything Until the Settlement!
Here's how we can help you with your car accident case today:
- Download our free books, 5 Deadly Sins that will Wreck Your Injury Claim and GetItSettled. These books can help you start thinking about your car accident case. If you have a small car accident case, GetItSettled can show you how to settle this case yourself!
- Attend our free webinar, GetItSettled University. On this webinar, Virginia Trial Attorney Brian Glass and ex-insurance adjuster Joe Mann talk about the process of settling your small car accident case without an attorney.
- Call our office at (703) 584-7277 and speak to one of our staff members about your case. You can schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, or simply ask our Client Care Specialist some questions about your personal injury case.
- Browse our collection of articles, FAQs, and blog posts about personal injury cases. If you don't see your question answered there, fill out a contact form on our website and tell us more about your specific situation.
Our Specialized Process for Personal Injury Cases
Insurance companies like to use what is called "pre-suit negotiation" to try and learn as much as they can about you, your lawyer, and your doctor. The trouble is that most personal injury lawyers will waste time trying to negotiate with the insurance company before actually filing suit with the case.
At BenGlassLaw, we usually prefer to file your suit before negotiating. Why do we this? Because if negotiations break down, we want to make sure there is already a trial date in place for your case.
Other lawyers may wait until what is called the "statute of limitations" has almost run out to file suit. We have seen some horrible mistakes happen when this occurs, including attorneys naming the wrong defendant (you can't recover damages if you sue the wrong person). Of course, there are some cases in which delaying filing suit is justified. However, there is no excuse for a lawyer to wait until the last moment to see in the insurance company just might cave in for a settlement.
Sometimes lawyers who are not licensed in Virginia will attempt to represent someone in the state under false representation of themselves, hoping to just grab a settlement from the insurance company. When those claims don't settle, they then have to scramble to find an attorney who is properly licensed in the state to file the suit on time. Obviously, this is not helpful to you, the client, and it puts your case at risk.
If you would like to speak with an attorney about your case,
pick up the phone and call BenGlassLaw today at (703)584-7277
- You will speak to our Client Care Specialist about your case. They will ask you:
- Where the accident happened
- What were your injuries
- If there was a police report
- What happened just before the accident
- What happened just after the accident
- Who was in the vehicle with you
- What your medical treatment has been since the accident
- If you missed work or other appointments
- What the insurance company has communicated with you
- Client Care Specialist will make you an appointment to speak with one of our attorneys. If we do not take your specific type of case, we will refer you to one of our attorney partners who can best assist you.
- After your call, you will receive an introductory toolkit with information about your case and resources you can use.
We believe in adding value to people's lives. If we see that hiring us will not add value to your claim, we will make a recommendation for an attorney who can help or, give you information on settling your case yourself. We will NEVER pressure you into hiring us for your case if that does not benefit you.