You would not believe the lengths that many insurance companies and their insurance adjusters will go to just to prevent you from seeking legal action on your behalf. Some will go as far as writing letters to claimants like you to discourage you from seeking legal representation!
The insurance industry has also been successful in turning the minds of people against the legal process that will allow you to receive a fair financial recovery for your claim. They know that verdicts have been affected by this and will offer low-ball, unfair settlements until a plaintiff like you proves that you are willing to go to trial.
One of the effects of having a personal injury lawyer represent you is that the insurance company now has to deal with an experienced advocate who is invested in the success of your case (especially since most law firms, including ours, will operate on what is called a contingency fee).
Additionally, lawyers like those at BenGlassLaw who have real experience settling these cases and going to trial know how to deal with the hardball tactics of the insurance company.
If you have suffered any major injury in your car accident, you need to seek out an experienced Virginia accident and injury attorney who will guide you through the process while taking care of the tough, dirty work for you.
Here's how we can help you with your car accident case today:
- Download our free books, 5 Deadly Sins that will Wreck Your Injury Claim and GetItSettled. These books can help you start thinking about your car accident case. If you have a small car accident case, GetItSettled can show you how to settle this case yourself!
- Attend our free webinar, GetItSettled University. On this webinar, Virginia Trial Attorney James Abrenio and ex-insurance adjuster Joe Mann talk about the process of settling your small car accident case without an attorney.
- Call our office at (703) 584-7277 and speak to one of our staff members about your case. You can schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, or simply ask our Client Care Specialist some questions about your personal injury case.
- Browse our collection of articles, FAQs, and blog posts about personal injury cases. If you don't see your question answered there, fill out a contact form on our website and tell us more about your specific situation.
The team at BenGlassLaw wants to help you get a fair result for your case so you can get back to living your life. Our main office is located in Fairfax, Virginia, but we have additional spaces to meet with you in Virginia. Representation in jurisdictions where we are not already licensed is performed in conjunction with local counsel–at no additional legal fees to the client–and with permission of the court.
Searching for a Virginia Car Accident Attorney and
Not Sure What to Look For?
There are so many attorneys out there talking about how "aggressive" they are or how they "care" for you that it's just silly - and we've found that if you need to say it that much, you should probably spend more time doing it instead. They go on and on talking about themselves, and rarely ever share any information that could help you with your case. We want to change all of that...
We want to actually provide you with real, useful information about car accidents and other personal injury claims for you.
We are sorry that something in your life has caused you to be having to look for an attorney. We honestly hope that you recover from your injuries and that you can get back to living your life. That's why we are making it easy for you to helpful information for you so that you can make smart decisions about your case.
If you have questions, the best way to start your conversation with our professional team at BenGlassLaw is to pick up the phone and dial us - the conversation is 100% confidential and without any obligation:
Call us at 703-584-7277 and for a free and confidential conversation about your case (and to receive a free copy of 5 Deadly Sins that can Wreck Your Car Accident Claim)
Want to learn about your case before calling us? Read our report, 5 Deadly Sins that can Wreck Your Car Accident Claim, to learn...
- What form you should never sign for an insurance company;
- What "service" provided by some personal injury lawyers can be the kiss of death to your case;
- How to avoid having past accidents come back to haunt your case;
- How to quickly and easily find a board certified attorney;
- What the insurance companies do to investigate your background;
- Whether the "standard" one-third contingency fee is really "standard";
- How to get through the "fluff" of lawyer advertising to find out what's important;
- How to maximize your chances for recovery in your case;
- Whether your health insurance company is allowed to be paid FIRST out of your accident settlement;
- And what the insurance industry doesn't want you to know about the settlement of accident cases.
What Everyone Should Know Before Speaking With the
Insurance Adjuster or Signing Any Forms
In an injury, accident, or wrongful death case in Virginia, the person who was injured, known as the "plaintiff," is responsible for proving that the carelessness or negligence of another person caused the injury to occur.
You may have already known that bit of information above. However, what you may not have known is that you may not be able to recover damages in your case due to something called "contributory negligence." This essentially means that if you are found to be partly responsible for the accident's and/or injury's occurrence, you may lose out on recovering damages. In Virginia, there is a strict contributory negligence policy - which is why having an personal injury lawyer on your side to help deal with these arguments can be so important to your case.
Additionally, expert testimony may be necessary to prove some parts of your claim. Expert testimony is generally needed to prove the extent of your physical injury and the relationship of any medical bills to the defendant's negligence. Expert testimony is necessary to prove any other issues that are beyond the general knowledge of jurors, such as the extent of your ability to earn a living has been impaired.
Our Specialized Process for Personal Injury Cases
Insurance companies like to use what is called "pre-suit negotiation" to try and learn as much as they can about you, your lawyer, and your doctor. The trouble is that most personal injury lawyers will waste time trying to negotiate with the insurance company before actually filing suit with the case.
At BenGlassLaw, we usually prefer to file your suit before negotiating. Why do we this? Because if negotiations break down, we want to make sure there is already a trial date in place for your case.
Other lawyers may wait until what is called the "statute of limitations" has almost run out to file suit. We have seen some horrible mistakes happen when this occurs, including attorneys naming the wrong defendant (you can't recover damages if you sue the wrong person). Of course, there are some cases in which delaying filing suit is justified. However, there is no excuse for a lawyer to wait until the last moment to see in the insurance company just might cave in for a settlement.
Sometimes lawyers who are not licensed in Virginia will attempt to represent someone in the state under false representation of themselves, hoping to just grab a settlement from the insurance company. When those claims don't settle, they then have to scramble to find an attorney who is properly licensed in the state to file the suit on time. Obviously, this is not helpful to you, the client, and it puts your case at risk.
If you would like to speak with an attorney about your case,
pick up the phone and call BenGlassLaw today at (703)584-7277
- You will speak to our Client Care Specialist about your case. They will ask you:
- Where the accident happened
- What were your injuries
- If there was a police report
- What happened just before the accident
- What happened just after the accident
- Who was in the vehicle with you
- What your medical treatment has been since the accident
- If you missed work or other appointments
- What the insurance company has communicated with you
- Client Care Specialist will make you an appointment to speak with one of our attorneys. If we do not take your specific type of case, we will refer you to one of our attorney partners who can best assist you.
- After your call, you will receive an introductory toolkit with information about your case and resources you can use.
We believe in adding value to people's lives. If we see that hiring us will not add value to your claim, we will make a recommendation for an attorney who can help or, give you information on settling your case yourself. We will NEVER pressure you into hiring us for your case if that does not benefit you.
Common Questions About Personal Injury Cases
- "Is it possible to settle my own case if I was not injured and there was only property damage?"
Yes, and we've published a report you can download for free. But the truth is that you should still speak to an attorney about your case, especially if you've been injured in an accident.
- "Should I speak to the insurance adjuster?"
You should read this page first, but yes, you can. Just make sure you're informed about your rights. Keep in mind, anything you say to an insurance adjuster can be used against you in your claim.
- "Should I sign the medical records release for the insurance adjuster?"
You can if you don't care who sees your confidential medical records. (By the way, you probably should care who sees that information!)
- "What is 'contributory negligence' in a car accident case?"
Virginia has a harsh 1% rule. If you are at fault even 1%, you will not have a case. It is essential that you find an attorney that will be honest with you about this 1% rule.
- "Who will pay my medical bills until my case is settled?"
If you have health insurance, submit your bills to your health insurance company. If you don't have health insurance, you will need to arrange payments with your doctor or hospital. Avoid letting your bills go to collections because that can hurt your credit.