We believe that you should never try to file a long-term disability insurance appeal without an experienced, ERISA trained, long-term disability attorney. This is a different and more arcane and complex area of law than social security and workers compensation claims. The time limit for action after your disability insurance claim has been denied is short. The failure to file a correct appeal can be fatal to your chances of getting paid.
Ask any attorney you are considering hiring: "Are you experienced with ERISA?"
At BenGlassLaw, our lawyers have experience dealing with the complex area of long-term disability claims, which involve group and individual long-term disability policies (often under a little-known area of the law called ERISA, or Employee Retirement Income Security Act).
If you are dealing with a long-term disability claim and want your case handled by a team that has experience dealing with this little-known and difficult area of the law (even judges think that long-term disability claims are tough), you have come to the right place. Whether you are thinking about applying for benefits or have been denied benefits, we can help. Representation in jurisdictions where we are not already licensed is performed in conjunction with local counsel–at no additional legal fees to the client–and with permission of the court.
Here's how we can help right now:
- If your benefits have been denied and you are entitled to appeal just fax/email/mail us the denial letter as soon as you get it. We will review it and give you a detailed strategy for moving forward. This service is free but you must act promptly.
- You can speak with us when you are thinking about stopping work and applying for benefits. We can point you in the right direction, give you advice and tell you what to talk to your doctors about. (There is a nominal fee for this consult, but it can save you thousands of dollars by taking action now with us.)
- If your benefits have been denied and you did your own appeal, we can only help you if you have a second appeal available to you. (Really, the best hope is that you are contacting us before it gets this far - second appeals are tough and there is often extra work to be done by untangling errors made in the first appeal if it was not prepared by an ERISA experienced attorney.)
You can speak with our team of experts about your disability claim by calling our office at (703)584-7277.
More Information about Long-Term Disability Claims in Virginia
Why Most ERISA Long-Term Disability Claims are Denied and How Victims Lose Out on a Fair Recovery - Find Out More in Our Disability Claim Guide, Don't Try This At Home
If your claim for long-term disability benefits has been denied, you need to download this free guide right now. In most cases you have only 180 days within which to file a properly framed appeal. A respected federal judge has said that when you have one of these policies you are purchasing an invitation to a "legal ritual" that you will lose.
We want to get our guide in your hands right now. You will also have an opportunity to request our disability claim information package after you request this guide.
Ben Glass walks you through the process in his free book, Don't Try This at Home - Your Disability Claim Guide. It's free for Virginia residents!
This free book should be read by:
- Anyone who is filing a disability claim or has already been denied.
- Any doctor who treats patients who are making long-term disability claims.
- Anyone who is going through the disability appeals processes and wants to know more.
If you have already had a claim denied or your benefits have been terminated and you would like to speak with an ERISA disability attorney, call our team at (703)584-7277.
Your employer's group long-term disability policy may be the greatest rip-off in the history of the American employee! Unsuspecting employers have been conned into buying policies that some courts have said will only pay benefits if you are in a coma. Get my book by filling out the form above.
BenGlassLaw can help you if you are thinking about going out on disability, and need advice. Contact our office to discuss how the consultation process works.
Group long-term disability insurance policies are one of the biggest scams in America. Claims for non-payment of insurance benefits are exploding as insurance companies try to cut every bill that they can. What they save by denying you benefits for hundreds of dollars turns into millions of dollars when they do it to every claimant.
Disability insurance companies are finding that policies that they wrote years ago, promising to take care of you if you couldn't do your job, are becoming very expensive for them. We have handled, and are handling, many claims against Unum Provident, CNA, Hartford, Prudential, and many other insurance companies.
We represent claimants in disputes involving:
- Denial of benefits under private (non-ERISA) insurance polices.
- Denial of benefits under long-term disability policies, both ERISA and non-ERISA.
When Should You Get Legal Advice Regarding Your Disability Claim?
You should absolutely consult with an attorney experienced in ERISA long-term disability claims before you file a claim. Too often we are contacted by people who have filed claims and exhausted their administrative appeal rights. If you must later file suit, a court is only going to review what is in the insurance company's file. EVERY case we have in which the client has applied for benefits and done the appeal himself/herself, the record that the court reviews lack important information and documents that could have been provided with the original claim. Remember, the insurance company KNOWS that your review in court is limited.
Do you think that the insurance company is going to fill the record with information favorable to you? We have never seen that happen!
Your attorney should be experienced in litigating disability income insurance claims and, if your insurance is through your employer, that attorney should understand how ERISA impacts the case. Ask the right questions. Attorneys cannot simply “dabble” in ERISA!
If you have been denied long-term disability benefits, we will review that denial letter at no charge and suggest an appropriate course of action. After that first step, you may want to hire us to create the appeal for you depending on your particular circumstances.
We want you to know your rights and understand the insurance company tactics.
Ben Glass's Long-term Disability Book Will Show You:
- How the way you fill out your claim form can wreck your case;
- How doing the appeal yourself can give the insurance company an excuse to deny your claim;
- Why a Federal Judge said that claimants without an experienced ERISA disability attorney are at a 'distinct disadvantage' when appealing their claim denial;
- What you must have in your hand before you file your claim if you want to have any hope of getting paid;
- How to find a board certified lawyer;
- How one former insurance company employee describes the claim denial process inside one of the world's largest disability insurance companies (you will be shocked);
- How the insurance companies use video and other secret surveillance to try to deny you benefits;
- How one company used an errant check mark on a physician's form to deny benefits and what we did about it to get benefits restored.