Life has enough daily stresses, without the added pressure of a Herndon car accident. You have bills to pay, work to get done and children to taxi to and from soccer practice. Dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident is the very last thing you want to do.
If you have been involved in a car wreck, you can’t afford to “stick your head in the sand” and hope everything resolves itself. More than likely, you have medical expenses adding up and income that is being lost. It is important that you take certain steps to ensure you are fairly compensated from the at-fault driver.
What You Need to Do
Once you have left the accident scene and have had time to process what has happened to you, you need to take action. Below are some things you should do (and not do):
- Get a copy of the police report. This information can be very useful when filing a personal injury claim.
- Save any pictures or video footage you took of the crash scene and your injuries. These images may help your case.
- Don’t wait to get medical treatment. There is no reason to try and overcome your pain on your own or tough it out. If you are injured, you need to see a doctor who will be able to diagnose your condition.
- Notify your own insurance company immediately. Even if the other driver was to blame, you should still contact your insurer. You may have benefits that will help pay for your expenses.
- Avoid giving a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster. What you say on record can actually damage your claim.
- Contact a Herndon auto accident attorney. Not every case requires an attorney’s help, but it is hard to know when you need one and when you don’t. Therefore, at least talk with a lawyer, so that you can get valuable advice.
We opened a satellite office in April 2011 to serve our clients in Herndon and the western part of Fairfax County. Contact us at 703.584.7277 to set up your appointment.
13800 Coppermine Road
Herndon, VA 20171
(by appointment only)
You can order a FREE copy of our consumer guide, The Five Deadly Sins That Can Wreck Your Injury Claim, to learn more about personal injury claims in Herndon, VA by following this link
If you have a question for Ben, you can submit it confidentially online at JustAskBenGlass.com.