Motorcycle enthusiasts boast about the thrill of riding. Safety experts warn about the dangers that motorcyclists face. Whichever side of the line you are on, you should understand the significance of motorcycle helmets and how the one that you wear, could mean the difference between life and death when in a car wreck.
Motorcycle Crash Injures Herndon Man
It wasn’t long ago that a 52-year-old Herndon man was critically injured in a Herndon motorcycle accident. The motorcycle crash occurred on Route 15 south of Gilberts Corner. According to the Sheriff’s office, the motorcycle rider was heading southbound on Route 15 when he hit a Lexus. The driver of the Lexus said she had slowed down due to traffic when the motorcyclist slammed into her vehicle. The rider was thrown from his bike. He was taken to the hospital where his injuries were described as life threatening.
Sadly, this is just one example of the seriousness of motorcycle crashes.
Wearing the “Right” Helmet is Critical
The law in Virginia is clear, if you are going to operate a motorcycle, you better be wearing a helmet. Study after study has shown that motorcycle helmets save lives. However, not all helmets are created equal. Some helmets do not meet the safety standards set by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). These helmets are often sold at novelty shops and are purchased with the mistaken belief that they provide adequate protection.
There are some things that you can look for when purchasing a motorcycle helmet that would indicate it is safe:
- Look for the DOT sticker. Motorcycle helmets that meet the safety standards will have a sticker with the letters, “DOT.”
- Check the padding. The inner liner must be about one-inch thick to meet federal guidelines.
- Ensure there is a sturdy chin strap and solid rivets. This is one of the standards set by DOT.
- Familiarize yourself with the weight. A helmet that meets federal safety standards will weigh about three pounds.
- Evaluate the design. Nothing should extend beyond two-tenths of an inch from the helmet’s surface.
Herndon Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle crasheshappen a lot. If a careless driver has hurt you, you may be able to recover compensation. To obtain advice about your Herndon motorcycle accident case, contact us today at 703-591-9829. We have a satellite office now open in Herndon conveniently located to help you.
You can order a FREE copy of our consumer guide, The Five Deadly Sins That Can Wreck Your Injury Claim, to learn more about personal injury claims.
If you have a question for Ben, you can submit it confidentially online at JustAskBenGlass.com.