In order to get worker's compensation benefits in Virginia, you will need to do follow these 6 steps:
- First, you must immediately notify your employer of your accident or injury. Do this even after a minor injury, because it may affect you in more ways than you think.
- Once your employer receives notice, he will file a first report of accident and submitted to the worker's compensation insurance company.
- You will be contacted by the insurance adjuster who will attempt to record a statement from you.
- You should begin receiving two thirds of your wages weekly, up to the statutory limit.
- You will be given a panel of 3 doctors to choose from for the medical examination and records process. There is no obligation for the employer or the insurance company to help you along this process, so make sure you do your research to pick the best doctor for your case.
- While the workers compensation process seems simple, it is often beneficial to have an experienced workers compensation attorney at least “look over your shoulder,” or give you some advice, to make sure that you are receiving all of the benefits to which you are entitled.