Have you seen those TV ads for lawyers who claim to help Stafford car accident victims “get the money they deserve?" The truth is that not every Virginia accident claim needs to be handled by an attorney. In fact, there are many circumstances when an accident victim is better off representing himself.
If your car is dinged in the Quantico commissary parking lot, your best bet may be to call the insurance company on your own. Stafford accident attorney Ben Glass has written a book to help you handle your claim by yourself. Download your free copy of the Accident Victim's Guide to Settling Your Case.
A multi-vehicle crash with a semi-truck on I-95 is different. If your car is totaled and you’ve sustained disabling injuries, you need to be concentrating on getting well, not on determining the value of your case. You may know the cost of replacing your car and the amount of your current medical expenses, but can you estimate your future medical needs? What about your lost earning potential? You will probably be better off with an experienced Stafford injury lawyer on your side.
Most Quantico car accidents fall somewhere in between. Here are some guidelines to help you decide when to hire a lawyer after a car crash.
You may not need a lawyer if:
- You have only minor injuries.
- You did not need to be treated at the hospital.
- The police report clearly identifies who is at fault for the accident.
You may want to hire a lawyer if:
- You don’t have the time or inclination to deal with the other driver’s insurance company.
- The police report doesn’t clearly state which driver is at fault.
It is in your best interest to hire a lawyer if:
- You suffered a serious injury.
- You had to stay overnight in the hospital.
- Your injury has lasting effects (including pain or loss of bodily function).
- Your injury has left you unable to work for a significant period of time.
- Your injury has left you disabled.
- You will have scars from the accident.
- You will require long-term care.
If you decide that you need the help of a Stafford accident lawyer, we suggest asking your friends and family if they have someone to recommend. Take advantage of free consultations and interview several lawyers. Don’t be swayed by promises of large sums of money. Choose someone who you feel is who you feel is trustworthy and experienced.