Car Accident Lawsuit Process
A car accident lawsuit is broken down into steps. There are many small steps in between, but these are the main steps of the process:
- The lawsuit process officially begins when the plaintiff files the car accident lawsuit.
- The plaintiff has to serve the defendant with a copy of the lawsuit. This step can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months depending on whether the defendant was difficulty of tracking down the defendant.
- The defendant has to answer the lawsuit. The timeline for this varies depending on the court where the lawsuit is pending. The defendant will receive about a month to respond to the plaintiff.\
- This step in the process is when discovery would begin. Each side will request information and exchange information relevant to the case in order to build up their evidence.
- The trial begins. On average, a car accident trial takes about 1 to 2 days to complete
- Potential appeal process. Each side can appeal if they were unhappy with the results. Although there are several levels of appeals, just one level of appeal could add several years to the case.