If you are looking for an experienced personal injury attorney in Arlington to help you with your car accident claim, the team at BenGlassLaw is here to help. We have a convenient satellite office location in Arlington to meet with clients (our main office is in Fairfax with other offices throughout Virginia). You can go ahead and reach out to our team of experts at (703)584-7277 if you would like to discuss your case.
In the mean time, we want to share with you five things we believe every car accident victim should know about accident and injury claims in Virginia. These five things can make a major difference in your ability to receive fair compensation for your injuries.
- Seek treatment first - Honestly, the most important thing you can do for yourself after being in an accident (in Arlington or anywhere else) is seeking the proper medical treatment for your injuries. You should focus on getting healthy before anything else.
Attorneys can only properly evaluate a case once you have completed, or nearly completed, treatment. Only then do you have all your medical bills available. Those bills play a primary role in determining the value of your case. So if another attorney tries to tell you immediately how much your case is worth without knowing the full extent of your medical bills, he or she is just guessing. We believe in creating a full written settlement evaluation for our clients that comes from complete knowledge of the individual client's damages.
- Be honest with your doctor - When you are getting treated for your injuries, don't lie to your doctor. If you do, the insurance company's lawyers will find out and will find ways to discredit your case with that information. Remember, if you are found to be lying to your doctor, it calls into question other testimony you may give about how the accident actually happened. Never endanger your case by lying.
- Be careful with social media - The rule of thumb when it comes to using social media to talk about your injuries after a car accident in Virginia is DON'T. We've seen cases that have had their value slashed because of something careless that someone put up on social media - for example, someone who said they had tremendous back pain was posting photos of himself out running a half-marathon.
Of course, the best thing you can do is not lie in the first place. Make sure you accurately represent your condition to your doctor and your lawyer.
- Research any attorney you want to hire - Starting with articles like this one is a good idea. You want to make smart, informed choices about your claim. If your injuries are serious and you are losing time at work, the amount of money you could recover may be quite a lot. Don't make a hasty decision.
We wrote a free book for Virginia car accident victims you can download that goes over the complete process of a personal injury claim (that is the area of law a car accident claim falls under).
You can also request our free book about hiring a lawyer that goes over the process that we would use if any of us at BenGlassLaw needed a lawyer.
- Seriously, don't lie! - This is what ruins more cases than any other. Clients want to try and "cheat the system" to get more money in their settlement or from a jury. The fact is that you put your case unnecessarily at risk by lying. It's up to your attorney to create the best argument for your case. That's why you hire an experienced personal injury attorney in the first place. It is the job of a team like the one at BenGlassLaw to build your case.
Also, BEWARE any attorney who asks you to lie or embellish the truth. That's the ultimate red flag!
Have You Been in an Accident and Need an Arlington Car Accident Lawyer?
If you would like to discuss your own car accident case with the team of experts at BenGlassLaw, you can call us at (703)584-7277 for a free consultation. We would like to help you make great decisions about your legal issue.
Additionally, don't forget to download your free book about car acccident claims in Virginia from our website.