The recorded statement is one of the biggest pitfalls for your accident case settlement. This is where the insurance adjuster asks you a bunch of questions regarding the accident. They’re not so much looking for details about your case as they are trying to reduce your compensation. I’ve even seen them deny claims flat out after a victim gave a recorded statement.
Here are a few tips on giving a solid recorded statement:
- make an “accident claim kit” (include copies of your accident report, medical history and current medical bills);
- answer questions with facts only (don’t speculate or guess)
- don’t get flustered and berate the other driver or get angry (it doesn’t help anyone);
- don’t offer more information than necessary (only give them exactly what they ask for); and
- ask for a transcript of the recorded statement (you want to verify that what you said was reported accurately).
The recorded statement process can be intimidating; insurance adjusters love to try to catch you off guard and admit to things that aren’t necessarily true or relevant to your case. They shouldn’t care about a knee injury you had 3 years ago when your claim is for whiplash and a broken arm.
One of the first things you’ll do when filing an accident case on your own is get involved with the insurance companies. Remember, if at any time you feel like you do need legal help, you still have the option of contacting a personal injury attorney.
Why Hire a Lawyer to Settle Your Accident Case When You Don’t Need One?
It may sound crazy, but I want you to succeed in settling your accident case WITHOUT a lawyer. Why? As much as I’d love to help every client that comes into my office, I just don’t have that kind of time. What I did have time for is writing a fantastic guide to how you can help your own case.
If you think you’re ready to handle your accident case on your own, I encourage you to visit my website and download a FREE digital copy of my book Get It Settled! The Accident Victim’s Guide to Settling Your Case without Hiring a Lawyer. Of course, I won’t leave my clients hanging in the wind; if you think you really need a lawyer to help you settle your case, contact Ben Glass Law at our website, or give us a call at 703-584-7277, and we’ll set up a consultation.