Son to a father who immigrated from the Philippines in the 1960’s and a mother born and raised in Harlan, Kentucky, James brings a unique perspective to his cases. He’s also a Virginian through and through. He spent his grade school years in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, "Coal Country," in Grundy, Virginia. In high school, his family moved to Richmond, and James completed his undergraduate studies at UVA in Charlottesville.
After finishing law school at Syracuse University, James returned to the Commonwealth in 2008 where he’s been a Trial Attorney based out of Northern Virginia ever since. When asked about his trial experience, James likes to explain that, “while my friends were going to Barack Obama’s inauguration speech, I was in a two-week murder trial. I got thrown in right away, and haven’t wanted to leave the courtroom since.”
James has tried cases and argued motions in Northern Virginia and throughout the state. He has also argued before the Virginia Supreme Court. He specializes in Personal Injury and Criminal Defense not only because of his passion for representing individual’s rights, but also because he loves the courtroom.
In addition, James devotes much of his free time to helping his community. Having previously served as a Public Defender, James regularly takes on pro bono cases that he finds compelling. Most notably, he defended a man charged with assaulting the organizer of the “Unite the Right,” rally in Charlottesville in which the jury fined James's client $1.
James serves on the Board for the National Alliance of Mental Illness of Northern Virginia. He’s also a Founding Member of Justice Forward Virginia, a Political Action Committee that advocates for criminal justice reform here in the Commonwealth. He is also a Member of the 2019 Class of the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership, a non-partisan program of which many of our local elected officials are alumni. James believes that, in addition to knowing the technical law to advocate his client’s position, the system needs to change to further account for the rights of individuals. And the only way to do this is to be involved.
If you want to know what James’s real clients and colleagues say about him, check out his reviews here. He has been blessed to work with and for great clients and brilliant colleagues who have not only helped him hone his craft, but shaped him as an advocate and a person. He looks forward to learning your story.
- JD, Syracuse University College of Law
- BA, University of Virginia
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Avvo Superb Rating (10/10) (2013 to present)
- National Trial Lawyer’s Top 40 Under 40
Leadership & Association Positions:
- National Alliance on Mental Health of Northern Virginia Board Member
- Justice Forward Virginia Board Member
- Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at UVA, Member of Class of 2019
- Arlington Bar Young Lawyers Section Board Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific Bar Association
In The News:
- James Defends Accused for Punching "Unite the Right" Organizer, Jury Fines $1
- James's Defense of Accused in Charlottesville Case makes the Rolling Stone
- James Quoted for Criminal Justice Reform by NPR
- James Quoted for Virginia Laws regarding Possession
- James's Op-Ed about Southwestern Virginia Coal Miners Published in the Washington Post
Notable Personal Injury Results:
- $450,950 Verdict in Traumatic Brain Injury Case after Four-Day Jury Trial (Trial Transcripts Included)
- $1.8 Million Verdict in Negligent Gallbladder Surgery Case
- $1 Million Settlement for Wrongful Death Caused by Dog Knocking Victim to the Ground
- $515,000 Settlement for Victim that injury During a Funeral Procession
- $250,000 Settlement in Stem Cell Treatment Case
- Motorcycle Accident Settles for $300,000 Despite Claim of Contributory Negligence